News

Breaking: Police kill two kidnappers, recover N7.9m,1500 Indian Rupees in Sagamu – Ijebu Ode

Operatives of Ogun State Police Command, on Tuesday, neutralised two kidnappers terrorising travellers on the Sagamu Ijebu-Ode-Benin expressway.

During a rescue operation on Tuesday, the police engaged the kidnappers in a gun duel, resulting in their deaths.

Additionally, N7.9 million and 1500 Indian Rupees that were allegedly part of the ransom money taken from the victims were found by the police.

With the assistance of the local vigilantes, the police conducted a rescue operation at approximately 4:30 pm, successfully securing the release of three Indian nationals who had been kidnapped on May 3rd:

This was revealed in a Monday statement to journalists by the command’s spokesperson, SP Omolola Odutola.

According to Odutola, on May 4, the Manager of Breeze Company Nigeria Limited made a distress call to the Mowe Divisional Headquarters DPO, describing how on May 3, a group of kidnappers opened fire on the two Hilux buses carrying his principals, who numbered roughly sixteen, at the Kajola junction along the Sagamu-Siun-Abeokuta expressway.

A portion of the statement says, “The command’s anti-kidnapping unit, working with police units in the area and additional local security officers, quickly took action by scouring the area.

“The policemen engaged the kidnappers in a fierce gun battle confronting the kidnappers in the forest along Benin-Sagamu Papalanto at about 1630hrs of 7th May 2024 and succeeded in the rescue of the victims unhurt.

“In the course of the encounter, two of the six kidnappers were demobilized, two AK 47 riffles, one single barrel locally made gun, one sword, cell phone and criminal charms and 65 rounds of ammunition were also recovered.

“The likely ransom loot of the two demobilised kidnappers of the sum of Seven million nine hundred thousand naira (#7.900.000) and one thousand five hundred Rupees of (Indian currency) were also recovered.

“The two demobilised suspects have been deposited at the public mortuary, while intensive efforts are ongoing to arrest the four fleeing members of the kidnap gang”.

The police verified on Monday that seven travelers had been kidnapped and that another traveler had been killed on Friday, May 3, on the Sagamu-Ijebu-Ode expressway.

Around seven gunmen are reported to have ambushed and delayed the travelers between the expressway’s Ilisan, Ceplast industry, and Iperu junction axes.

According to Odutola, the May 3 incident, which occurred at approximately 6:55 p.m., involved armed robbery, murder, and kidnapping.

She explained that “we have information that about seven people whom we don’t know with A.K 47 suddenly blocked the Benin-Sagamu expressway.

“The DPO of Ilisan when he got to the scene of the incident saw two vehicles pierced with bullets; a Lexus Jeep 300 with registration number LND 640 DY, the driver’s name is Chilaka Lugard and another Lexus Jeep 350 with registration number LSR 996 JF belonging to Kingsley Chineme. Inside this Lexus 350 car was found a cross bag with N113,000, two iPhones; an iPhone Six and an iPhone Eleven Promax.

“There was also a corpse of an unidentified man who was shot in the head.

“The third vehicle was loaded with plantains and the driver who was among those abducted but has regained freedom was later allowed to go with the vehicle. The other Lexus vehicles have been taken to Ilishan Police Station”.

Odutola said the state Commissioner of Police, Abiodun Alamutu has directed the tactical commanders and the mobile squadron to go after these undesirable elements.

She said, “The CP had been to the scene of this incident, a lot of work is ongoing to fish these people out and let them answer for their criminality. I can assure you that the criminals will be apprehended very soon”.

Related Articles

Back to top button