National News

Suspected Yoruba Nation agitators invade Oyo gov’s office

The Oyo State Secretariat in Ibadan was attacked by suspected O’odua Nation agitators on Saturday.

The agitators occupied and attempted to overwhelm security operatives at the State Assembly complex and entire secretariat.

According to reports, they were dressed in military camouflage and armed with weapons, hoisted their own flag within the Assembly premises.

Security personnel within the state secretariat quickly called for backup, citing concerns about safely neutralizing the agitators.

Sporadic gunfire ensued as a combination of security forces including the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, Amotekun Corps, the Department of State Services (DSS), and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) converged on the scene to restore order and overpower the agitators.

Eyewitnesses reported that the agitators had arrived in an ash-colored Hiace bus and two motorcycles, which were seized and taken to the State Police Headquarters.

The gunmen reportedly headed straight to the State House of Assembly premises, removing the Nigerian national flag and replacing it with their own O’odua Nation flag before security forces intervened.

While several of the agitators were arrested, others fled the scene, pursued by security personnel into the nearby bushes and forest. According to unconfirmed reports, a total of 16 suspects have been arrested, with two sustaining bullet wounds, while some others escaped with gunshot injuries.

Mr. Fatai Owoseni, the Special Adviser to Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo State on Security, confirmed that the situation has been brought under control, with the combined team of security personnel successfully subduing the agitators. He described the gunmen as “miscreants” and urged the public not to panic.

“We were able to arrest some of them while others fled,” said Owoseni. “There is no need to panic. Everything is under control.”

Security personnel have been stationed at the secretariat gate to ensure the safety of the area. Adewale Osifeso, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, confirmed the incident but noted that he was still gathering details about the situation.

The situation has since been resolved, and investigations are ongoing.

Related Articles

Back to top button