Ondo residents nab kidnapper who pretended to be man, recover mobile phones on him

A man, who pretended to be mad, has been arrested by the Ondo State Police Command on suspicion of being a kidnapper and ritualist.

Suspected madmanThe suspect, simply known as Adetoyinbo, was arrested on Monday by residents of Orita Obele area of Akure, Ondo who handed him over to the police.

The suspect was said to be roaming the area aimlessly. Some residents suspected him and began to monitor his movement. They later approached him and found in his bag some charms and two handsets in his pocket.

It was, however, gathered that the suspected kidnapper immediately removed the Sims cards from the phone and swallowed it before the people could recover it from him.


After he was beaten by the residents, Adetoyinbo confessed he pretended to be mad to kidnap some children in the area.

He was said to have confessed travelling from Edo state to Akure, adding that he had been in the kidnapping business for some time.

An eyewitness, Mr Ganiyu Yusuf, said the mob beat him to coma, adding that he was only saved by the timely intervention of the security operatives from the area who stopped the mob from setting him ablaze.

He said some charms and ritual substances were also found in the suspect’s bag, adding

“this man was caught this morning around Orita-obele Estate by some vigilant residents who had been monitoring his movement for the past two weeks and confronted him.

“He was caught and it was discovered that he was actually not a madman but pretending and confessed to being a kidnapper while two phones were recovered from him.

“He confessed that he came from Edo state and has been kidnapping in Akure for sometimes but refused to mention his sponsors. The police intervention saved him from being set ablaze, he is presently in Okuta Elerinla Police Station.”

“Please let us be vigilant, and God will continue to expose the evil doers,” he said.

The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr Femi Joseph, confirmed the arrest. He said was said to have chewed and swallowed the SIM card of his phone when he was apprehended.

The PPRO, however, said the man has been arrested and was still in the police custody for further investigations.

Related Articles

Back to top button